Friday, August 12, 2011

Sauce of million uses

Here’s a sauce after a recipe from my mom, which she referred to as roux sauce. My mom makes a lot of lovely sauces on a whole scale of different meals and she finally told me her secret! I needed the sauce for a Quiche I decided to make. I thought I knew enough about quiches so I could make one without a recipe. Click on the link if you want to see how I did it! It was really very easy, this sauce might’ve been the hardest thing about it and you’ll notice it’s laughably easy once you start.

Photobucket
Here's the cheese version of this sauce used in a quiche!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1-2 cups milk


1. Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour spoon by spoon to make a thick mixture. In the meanwhile warm the milk in a separate pan.
2. Add the milk little by little until you have a thick but runny sauce.
3. For a cheese sauce add: 75 gram (1/2 cup) grated cheese and stir in.

Note on the cheese: matured cheese is preferred above younger cheeses. Personally I’m really not a fan of matured cheese, but if you use a younger cheese in this recipe you will barely taste any cheese at all or end up using a lot more cheese. The stronger parmesan cheese is a really nice option for this recipe.
I used this sauce for a cheese sauce so far, but you can add anything you like. Think of different herbs and spices, peppers, cheeses. The milk in the recipe is easily replaced with cream for an –obviously- creamier effect. Suggestions I found on internet to use in the sauce are curry powder, dill, nutmeg, cheese, and not to forget: salt & pepper. I’ve even seen a recipe that asks you to leave unions and cloves in the milk for an hour beforehand and then use it. None of them really sound bad actually!

No comments:

Post a Comment