Monday, July 25, 2011

Banana teabread

Today was a totally lazy day and I decided to bake something. It started with wanting to make something with cranberries, as I have cranberries. I looked online and found a lot of recipes with cranberries which all looked just as delicious but I didn’t have an ingredient or two in the house or they just didn’t cut it. It ended up in me looking through my cooking books until I spotted banana teabread. So, I discarded the cranberries and went for banana bread in stead. We had enough banana’s anyway. What we didn’t have was pecans. I understand bananas and pecans tend to go together very well, but I never liked them anyway. We did have pine nuts in the house. I was considering scratching nuts altogether and going for double the raisins, but I just went for the pine nuts instead!
I have to say it turned out pretty good! When I took the pictures, which was when I had taken them directly out of the oven, I was afraid the banana bread wasn’t firm enough. After the bread had cooled down though, I realised I was completely wrong. It’s exactly what a banana bread should look like. Eating this bread was like one of those times when you sit down to eat something and you think "Damn, I’m awesome!". I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Photobucket

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons butter
150 grams caster sugar
2 eggs
150 grams bananas (without peel)
70 ml buttermilk
175 grams self-rising flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
100 grams sultanas
50 grams pine nuts


1. Mix the butter and caster sugar together in a bowl until it becomes light, fluffy and creamy.
2. Beat the eggs in one by one. (You can lightly beat the eggs before mixing them in.)
3. In a separate bowl mash the bananas using a fork or a food processor. Add the buttermilk and mix it together.
4. Combine both mixtures and mix until you have an even batter.
5. Sift the flour with the baking powder and nutmeg together. Add it to the batter in a few additions (like 3-5 spoons at a time).
6. Add the sultanas and pine nuts and mix them in.
7. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a cake-pan or line it with grease-proof paper. Leave the cake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.

Note: I ate the cranberries.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment