Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Marbled pound cake

There are people out there who have never eaten banana bread, peanut butter or even marbled cake. So spread the word. Or rather the cake in this case, because I’ll be showing you a recipe for marbled pound cake. Since I’m still not anywhere near my home I’ve had to browse the internet for a recipe. I’ve found one for a marbled pound cake. What the difference between normal cakes and pound cakes is I would for the life of me not know. I do know that this recipe works and it gave a very nice consistency to my cake. Plus the recipe is easy enough to make all over again and requires ingredients I have at home already anyway.
I also know that the pictures still don’t do any justice to the taste of the cake, or even the looks at that. I so wish I had a better camera and, most of all, more skills to convey the plain wonderfulness of the things I bake. Waiting for all of this takes so long!

Photobucket

Ingredients:
2 cups white sugar
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs
3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (unsweetened) cocoa powder


1. Beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
2. Beat the eggs in one by one while making sure to fully incorporate one before adding the next. Mix in the vanilla extract
3. Sift the flour with the baking powder and mix it through the batter.
4. Lastly add the milk and mix again.
5. Put about half of the batter in a separate bowl and add cocoa powder.
6. Grease or line a cake tin and put one spoon of vanilla batter on one side of the tin and one on the other, put a spoon of cocoa batter in the middle. For the next layer put the chocolate batter on the sides and add a spoon of vanilla batter in the middle. Keep layering the cake like that until you’ve used all the batter.
7. With a skewer, fork or spoon cut and twist through the batter to give it a swirly, marbled effect.
8. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit and leave the cake in for about 40-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

Photobucket

Quite a lot of the comments on the original recipe stated that the cake was far too dry. I made some adjustments to prevent this, but this cake still tastes better with a glass of milk. Other than that you’ll love the taste. Somehow I found my cake to taste slightly different from the normal vanilla or chocolate cake, in a good way.
I had some left over peanut butter meringue frosting and that goes very well with this as well. I still have to post the recipe for this one, so I owe you one! Just don’t remind me of all the things I still owe you and all the things I have on my computer that haven’t been posted yet. Oh, I have so much to do!
Until I see you next time then – I promise it will be soon. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment