Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cheese cake

I’ve made this cheese cake two times already now. The first one was a great success. The second one was less so, since the sides caramelized and the cake completely collapsed. I renamed the second version Caramel Cheese cake and all was well again. I made the Caramel Cheesecake for my birthday for the family and I got a lot of compliments about it, even though I thought it was kind of a failure myself…
That’s how the post would’ve started had I actually posted it around three months ago. It’s the proof that I have been doing some things and saved them on my computer. The reason I’m posting it now is because I made another cheesecake just the other day. I never had time to take pictures of that one. It was gone in less than 24 hours! And I only ate one piece.

Photobucket

Ingredients for the cookie base:
850 grams digestive cookies
6 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar

Ingredients for the cheesecake:
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
900 grams cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs


1. Crush the cookies with a mixer or the back of a glass. Melt the butter and mix it, with the sugar, through the cookies. Press the mixture onto the bottom of a greased or lined cake tin and leave in the fridge.
2. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. This could take a minute or 3-4.
3. Gradually add the sugar and beat until it is completely mixed in.
4. Now add the vanilla and mix again.
5. Add the eggs one by one, while making sure one is fully incorporated before adding the next. Mix them in on a the lowest speed of your mixer as to not over-beat the mixture.
6. Pour the cheesecake batter onto the cookie base and leave in a preheated oven of about 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about an hour.
7. Eat the cheesecake with a lemon jam or other and enjoy!

I noticed in some of the cheesecake recipes they ask to put the cake tin in a bath of water in the oven and leave it that way. I have tried this once and it was a complete failure! Also, I’m pretty afraid of something going wrong with that much water in the oven. This means that I’m probably using the wrong settings for my oven, as I’m not using any water. However, the temperatures worked for me before so I have no intention of changing it a lot. What I’m trying to say is that the texture is slightly different of the cheesecakes of the original recipe and there is a chance it will fall apart and, like my cake, caramelize at the sides. Still, there is no way this won’t taste good.

Photobucket

I’ve been trying to update my blog more lately and I’m also trying to push some changes through. See the row of pictures at the side? Or did you notice how my pretty recipe index at the other side, which took an awful lot of work, has turned into a simple drop-down menu? By the time I actually post this – mind you, I’m still typing this in Word – perhaps my banner will have changed as well. Changing the looks of my blog is always an exciting process, but it makes me feel bad too. All the time I spend in recipe indexes, blog banners and little adjustments here and there is all gone, because I’m erasing them and starting anew. I do like the way my blog is evolving though. I feel sometimes it’s starting to look more professional or at the very least less like the work of a 5-year-old who’s been messing with her computer. It feels like growing. Wonderful!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment