Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Little lunch - sandwich mania!

I made this for dinner, to be real honest, and not for lunch. But it would be way more perfect for a lunch or a high tea party. I’ve thought of putting tooth picks or so in them so they’d be easier to pick up and eat. I decided against it as I didn’t have any and I think the little sandwiches might be too heavy for a little toothpick and fall off about immediately.
I made four different types of sandwiches with the things I had in my house. Most of them I already tried a few times before but I did have some help from the sweet Davie and added a new kind!

Photobucket

Tosty-type sandwich

Ingredients:
Cheese (I used some strong Belgium type)
Chicken fillet
Ketchup
Slices of bread


1. Use the ketchup like you would use butter on two slices of bread. Put the chicken fillet and cheese on one of the slices and the other slice of bread on top. Cut the bread into little squares.

Variations:
You can use curry or mayonnaise if you dislike ketchup or completely leave this out if you don’t like it. You can substitute the chicken fillet with ham if you like. Cut the crust off if you wish and cut the sandwich in little squares (or triangles or hearts or just be creative!).

Smoky salmon delight

Ingredients:
Smoked salmon
Lettuce
Cream cheese
Slices of bread


1. Take a slice of bread, spread the cream cheese over it. Smoked salmon on top, cover with lettuce and add the last slice of bread. Cut the bread into little squares and take the crust off if you like.

Variations:
I haven’t actually used cream cheese when I made the pictures, but about every other time I made this I have. Philadelphia (basil) is a nice one to use, but I like to make my own: creamy herb paste.

Cheesy sweetness

Ingredients:
Port-Salut (a soft & mild French cheese)
Berry jam
Slices of bread


1. Spread the jam on one slice of bread and place slices of the cheese on top. Add the other slice on top of that and cut the sandwich into little squares and cut the crust off if you wish. (If you do: the other way around might be wiser.)

Variations:
I used a mixed berry jam for this, but obviously you can change the type of jam. I’d stick to berry-jams, for some reason I cant see mango jam or strawberry jam working with cheese so well. Of course you can also variate the cheese. A very nice combination is Camembert or Brie with cranberry jam.

Tasty tuna sandwich

Ingredients:
Tuna (tuna salad or canned)
Lettuce
Slices of bread


1. Take a slice of bread and ‘spread’ it with the tuna (the tuna, not all the oil or juice). Add some lettuce and put another slice of bread on top. Cut it into little squares and done!

Variations:
I’ve heard mayonnaise goes real nice with canned tuna, so why not add some? If you have al of trouble with the juice or oil when using canned tuna it might be wise to first drain this, before using the tuna. A nice idea is to add a bit of sweet corn

Photobucket

Other nice things to put on sandwiches might be eggs or radish. A combination of blue cheese, pear and walnuts might be nice? Spreading cheese, bacon and grapes? Or cream cheese with strawberries? Ham, fig and lettuce? Eggs, mayonnaise, pepper&salt, maybe some ketchup with lettuce? You name it! There must an infinite number of combinations and sweet things you can put on sandwiches.
If you want to know some nice books for making a high tea or want to know more recipes for little bites and such I’d recommend Susannah Blake. I have two of her books called “afternoon tea” and “high tea party” which are both full of nice ideas for a light lunch with loads of different little bites, or for sweet cakes and cookies for tea or small things to serve on a party. I love the pictures in the book as well and it all looks very –what is the word- posh and rich-like? I seriously couldn’t cook from a book without pictures, even though what I make might look completely different. I need to know what I'm making and I need something to look forward too right?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment