Friday, February 26, 2010

Valentine's bonbons

I made this recipe on my feelings so to say. I saw some cool picture and decided I would make it. Since they were called cakepops, I quickly figured they were made of cake, which was obvious from the picture as well. I thought mascarpone was nice and creamy and would let it stick together. Then there was chocolate and candy-melts for decoration. I could’ve also used candymelts on the wole, but that would’ve seemed too sweet. Since Valentine was coming and I had pink candy-melts, it seemed a great idea! The whole recipe was easily figured out, but Im afriad I can’t be quite too sure about the amount of which ingredients I used.

Photobucket

The whole process is very easy and they don’t take that long to make either. The waiting time might take a bit longer. I made the cake first, and rolled the balls the next day. I took them out of the freezer three days later to do the chocolate and candymelts.
I send the bonbons in colourfull packages to my friends and they were quite pleased with it! I’m glad I could even find the packages. Next time I want proper boxes! I’m afraid I’ll have to make them myself though. But then they’ll be all the more personal!

Photobucket

A note for the recipe: in step 3 you’ll need to use greaseproof paper or cling wrap. This part is not so important then yet, but later greaseproofpaper and clingwrap will prevent the chocolate-covered balls to stick to surfaces from which you cant get them off! They both give a different effect to the bottom of your bonbons though. Greaseproof paper gives a matte look while the cling wrap makes it very shiney and leaves trails of folds if you dont flatten it well enough. Any flat plates or low tins will prevent the balls from rolling around all too much!

Ingredients for about 40 bonbons:
half a cake or 6 cupcakes
250 gram mascarpone or other cream cheese
dark and milk chocolate
candymelts: pink


1. Start with crumbling the cake. This is easiest with a kitchen machine, but you can also use a fork.
2. Mix the mascarpone in, spoon by spoon. Make sre the micture is thick and doesn’t stick too much. You may have to add more cake or mascarpone.
3. Roughly line a brownietin, other low tin or plate with greaseproof paper or cling wrap. Roll balls of the batter and put them on whatever you decided to use.
4. Leave them in the freezer for at least an hour or until you need them.

Photobucket

5. Dubble-boil the chocolate and dip the frozen balls in the liquid chocolate one by one. Roll them in the chocolate until they are completely covered and leave to cool on clingwrap or -preverably- greaseproof paper.
6. Leave them in the fridge to cool for about half an hour or until the chocolate is hardened.
7. Dubble-boil the candymelts and decorate the bonbons,. I used the tip of a knife for this, but a fork, toothpick or anything else you can think of, will work just as well.
8. Leave to cool again. If you want to speed up the progress you can leave them in the fridge and withing about 5-10 minutes they’re done!

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment