Monday, February 22, 2010

Basic cupcakes - decorated!

I’ve made cupcakes some time ago, but never found the time to post them yet! I’m kinda proud of the pictures I made to it, and of the way I decorated them, so they just have to be posted!

Photobucket

Since it’s a basic cupcake recipe that almost can’t go wrong, it’s really easy to variate on this one too. For example, different food colourings or flavours would add some extra effect. You can use any type of icing, fondant or other topping you can think of. Also, it’s very easy to add any kind of nuts or dried fruits to it. I don’t think the recipe would work out that well for fresh fruits, as they always have some juice in them that makes the cake wetter. Cakes also tend to take longer to get right with fresh fruits I believe.

Photobucket

Photobucket

While I was making these, I remember my sister coming to me about 4 times before they were finished. “Can I have one?” which I had to keep answering with “No, Im not done yet!”. She got one in the end though, and loved it! (especially the icing of course :P) I also remember that somehow all the cakes leaned to one side, and I put a bit too much batter in the cupcake cups which gave them a volcanolook as they rised. But that didnt matter so much for the taste anyway!

Ingredients:
225 gram softened butter
225 gram white granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon red foodcolouring
4 big eggs
225 gram selfraising flour
5 tablespoons milk
icing and sprinkles


1. Start with mixing the butter and sugar together in a big bowl until the batter is soft. This is easiest with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla extract and red foodcolouring and mix again.
2. In a seperate, small bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add a spoon of beaten egg to the butter-mixture and mix it in well. Then add the rest of the eggs in a few additions (3 to 4 should be enough) and beat well inbetween.
3. Sift the flour and add it to the batter. You can fold the flour in nicely, or if you’re lazy just like me use the electric mixer again! Add the milk as well at this point. I found it easier to alternate a bit of flour and then a bit of milk again and mixing well inbetween.
4. Pour the batter into cupcake cups. Make sure they are no more than 3/4 filled, since the batter will rise and you dont want them to turn into volcano’s! For a more solid ‘cupcake shape’ you can also put the shapes into a cupcaketin. Make sure to grease the tin if you’re not using the cupcake cups. Put the cakes in a preheated oven of 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. When the cupcakes are done, leave them to cool for some time. When they are cool, or at least cold enough to touch, you can start with the icing. The icing I used had to be double-boiled. I just dipped them in, rolled them around a bit so they got covered and sprinkled them with the hearts. Then I left them to cool again. Whatever you put as topping, make sure to put it on while the icing is still warm and sticky, otherwise it won’t stick! After the last cooling and decorating in whatever way you want, they’re ready to eat!

Of course, the cupcakes are equally delicious without a topping.
The same batter is used to make my Valentine's cake as well: Check it out!

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment