Monday, August 10, 2009

Blini's / Pancakes

Photobucket

After I tasted a simply delicious meal at a restaurant, I had to try making it myself. I tasted a rather large blini with salmon and a delicious, bit sour, cream. I happened to have the recipe for blini's myself, so I wanted to give it a shot. The first time I made them I thought they were a bit too thick, so I decided to improve it. Unforuntaley for me I forgot to buy salmon and any cream so I decided to eat them like american pancakes: just poor a bit of syrup over them and voila! It worked out pretty well!
I must say the pancakes are a bit heavy and taste a bit floury and to my surprise actually require three different kinds of flour! But a succes none the less!

Photobucket

Ingredients:
80 grams flour
70 grams boekweit flour
1 teaspoon selfrising flour
a pinch of salt
1 egg
200 ml milk
25 grams butter
Extra butter to grease


1. Sift the different kinds of flour and mix them together in a bowl. Add the salt and mix again. Make a little well in the centre of the flour-mixture.
2. In a seperate bowl whisk the egg shortly with an electric mixer (or whisk if you dont/cant use an electric one) until the mixture is yellow. Add the milk and the flour to the whisked egg and mix again.
3. Poor the egg-mixture into the well you made in the flour-mixture. With an electric mixer or fork, mix the two mixture together untill it forms a smooth thick liquid.
4. Put a frying pan or special blini-pan if you have one, on the middle fire with a bit of butter to grease it. Poor small amount of the mixture onto the pan with a spoon.
5. Wait for the top of the blini to turn a bit dry, or until little bubbles form on the top. Then turn the blini's over (with a spatula, is most handy). Bake the other side as well until golden brown. If the other side is not the colour you like it, turn over till both sides have a nice brown colour.

You will have to repeat step 4 and 5 until all the blini's are done. You might have to add a bit more butter every once in a while as well.
To keep the blini's warm you can simply put them on a plate and cover them with a lid of a pan or so.
When all blini's are done you can do whatever you want them! You could either eat them as little pancakes or put a bit of sour cream with kaviar on them. What I really like with these blini's is a creamy herb paste and some smoked salmon. Very simple, I might as well give you the recipe to it as well!

Ingredients:
2 blini's
Creamy herb paste [if you click on it, it gives you a link to the herb paste]
Smoked salmon


1. Start out with a blini and spread as much herb paste on it as you want. I prefer A LOT of it!
2. On top of the herb paste put a layer of smoked salmon. I like to make two layers, because the smoked salmon always comes in very thin portions.
3. On top of that comes a lot of herb paste again and then another blini. And there you have your own delicious blini!!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhh right...well I think I want to try to make them like..with the stuff in them..I'm not sure how it will work, but you will have to talk me through it! hmm..I better get more pans too because like, the ones I have ...won't do it lol

    Lova you my little baker girl! xxx

    ReplyDelete