Saturday, March 9, 2013

Imitating the Japanese

After my rant about chinese and indian dishes, without posting recipes, I want to share two Japanese recipes. Both of them are inspired by the all-you-can-eat sushi restaurants my family keeps visiting. Also, they're both very easy to make, so we should totally make these every day!


Best things first: Edamame! After the first time we tried them, me and both my sisters have become obsessed with them. They're very salty and you have to 'suck' the beans out of the pod. We actually fight over them.

Ingredients: 
Frozen edamame (soy beans)
Few tablespoons salt 

1. Take the edamame out of the freezer. In the meanwhile, start cooking water with salt. (I add about 1 tablespoon.)
2. When the water is boiling, add the edamame and cook them for no longer than 5 minutes.
3. Drain the water and serve the edamame with some extra salt, or loads of salt depending on your taste.


This recipe I made up myself. I really liked the sauce I made for dango, so I used it again to make Sweet baby corn. I really liked how it turned out, so I'm sharing the idea!

Ingredients: 
Baby corn (1 can)
Sesame seeds (1-2 tablespoons)
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablesoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
5 tablespoons water

1. Start making the sauce: put the sugar, soy sauce, mirin and water in a pan and heat until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Add the baby corn and cook until ready, which should take about 10 minutes. Add the sesame seeds last moment and keep cooking on a low heat for another minute, then serve.

We should eat Japanese more often. I really like how they tend to have a lot of small side dishes. This would normally mean too much cooking for me, but sometimes I can't help but get excited by the idea and spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I hope you like the recipes as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment