Saturday, March 17, 2012

Orange cranberry cake

I’ve got to admit I LOVE cranberries. I’m totally addicted to them, but they’re so expensive! So every once in a while I buy a package of cranberries and think of something to do with them. This time It was orange cake. Orange and cranberry isn’t a bad combination right? That’s exactly what I thought, so I searched all my books for a recipe for orange cake. Here’s what I ended up with:

Photobucket

Ingredients:
125 grams butter
145 grams sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons orange zest
2 eggs
185 grams self-raising flour
125 orange juice


1. Cream the butter by beating it with an electric mixer for half a minute. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and mix again.
2. Add the orange zest and the two lightly beaten eggs and mix again.
3. Finally sift the self-raising flour into the bowl and add the orange juice and mix everything thoroughly.
4. Grease a cake tin or line it with greaseproof paper. Spoon the batter into the tin.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Leave the cake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

You could always add lemon zest and juice in stead of the oranges. Would also work wonderfully with cranberries. Or how about swap the cranberries for raisins? Or when we’re changing it anyway: how about an orange flavored cake with a lot of dried fruits and nuts in it? I’m thinking this definitely isn’t a bad idea!
I should write more of these ideas down on a To-do list. I always forget.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment