Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sacher Torte

I apologize for not posting anything at all lately, even though I have LOADS of catching up to do. For instance all the things I baked with Christmas, including the cooking of a whole christmas dinner. Luckily I got special help with these. The Sacher Torte I'm posting today is made quite recently, although I made an earlier version in October. The first time the icing I made for it completely failed for some reason, but actually I’d rather have that then what I made this time. It looks nice, but the recipe totally failed. I took it out of the oven too soon, didn't leave it in the oven to cool down slowly and it collapsed and it has a consistency closer to cheesecake than to actual cake, but other than that it tastes fine though! At least I know the recipe works when I don't screw it up right?

Photobucket

Ingredients:
100 grams milk and dark chocolate
75 grams butter
115 grams granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1/4 tablespoon salt
65 grams plain flower
Loads of chocolate for the topping, and cream


1. Start off with dubble-boiling the chocolate. When the chocolate is melted, set it aside.
2. Mix the butter in a bowl until it becomes fluffy and add the sugar, mix again, and make it fluffier. Add the chocolate as last, and mix mix mix again!
3. Next, separate the eggs. Mix ONLY 4 of the egg yolks into the chocolate fluffiness one at a time.
4. Now use all 5 of the egg whites and beat them until stiff, adding the salt. (That’s one egg yolk loss here, you can use this for something else or choose to use an egg white less, but Im not sure if the cake fails when you do this though.)
5. Fold a big spoon stiff egg white into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites in about 3-5 times.
6. Poor the whole mixture into a greased round cakepan (about 18-22 cm) and set the oven to 160 degrees Celsius or 325 degrees Fahrenheit in the meanwhile. When the oven is preheated dump the lovely unbaked cake into the oven -somewhere in the middle- and leave it to bake for about 45 minutes.
7. When the cake is done, leave it to cool slowly (don't make the same mistake I did, it’ll collapse - seriously!) and start making the topping. A real Sacher Torte would require a layer of special made jam, but I haven’t tried that yet. So just melting chocolate in a pan with a few spoons of whipping cream (never more than a forth of the mixture) will do it. Poor it over the cake and leave that to cool again. Done!

Photobucket
It's called a lazy way of icing your cake (sorry!). I used nougatine for decoration!

Our own Sacher Torte that might only go for a Chique Chocolate Cake, but it tastes fine and we enjoy it so who cares about the name anyway? Hopefully the next time I make Sacher Torte (and I WILL make Sacher Torte again) I won’t fail it, the cake nor the icing! I could try the jam on top of it as well. Why is the process of learning things so full of failures sometimes?
I can tell you one thing. The process of making tea is never much of a failure - unless you try to get light teas dark and by doing so make the strongest tea ever! After the last time I’ve been sick I wanted to try loads of teas (it’s all I could get down my throat at that time). I tried liquorice tea, which was actually quite nice. It tasted like the plant rather than the candy. Also tried some fruits and herbs which are all so standard I forgot them in a blurr of standardness. There is one tea I’d love to try though: Blue Mallow Flower Tea. It’s blue tea!! And it turns pink when you add lemon juice! It sounds awesome! So I’m definitely going to find that tea one day and try it! In the meanwhile I’ll move to the next blog to rant on before this gets too long. Should definitely start posting my Christmas dinner!

Photobucket

Photobucket
My first attempt and how the icing screwed it

No comments:

Post a Comment