Thursday, January 27, 2011

Christmas Special 2: Peach Trifle

The next day after my Orange Filled Chicken of Forgotten Recipes and my Jacket Potatoe Mash, I was helping with the real big main Christmas Dinner. Since I had a High Tea to arrange for the day after that, me and my forest elf had been busy the whole day making cakes and cake pops and bread and whatnot and didn’t have to help much. I felt obliged to enrich this family dinner with a cranberry sauce, so I did that. After, we still had time to make a quick Trifle. With trifle being one of the easiest things to make, ever! My trifle was non-alcohol though, as I really am NO fan of alcohol, but feel free to add a bit of sweet white desert wine or anything of the likes.
Note: I used something called “eierenkoeken” for the cakelayer, which literally translates to “egg cakes”. It could be a form of spongecake, but you can use any type of cake, ladies fingers and even cookies or brownies. Check out the recipe for eierkoeken here along with a recipe - and pictures - of a Fresh Peach Trifle.

Photobucket

Ingredients:
Cake (6 “eierkoeken” about the size of your hand)
500 grams mascarpone
A lemon
100 ml (full) milk
Two bags vanilla sugar
80 grams granulated sugar
A teaspoon vanilla essence
A can of peaches


1. Before we start making the trifle, let’s prepare the cream. Wash the lemon and grate the peel off. Cut the lemon in half and press the juice out. Add the mascarpone, milk and sugars in a bowl and start mixing. Add the grated lemon peel and about a spoon of the juice (or more to taste), mix once more and let’s start the trifle!
2. For the trifle, start with a cake layer and sprinkle the peach juice from the can over it till it’s wet. Don’t soak it, it kind of ruins the taste in my opinion. If you want to use dessert wine, use that to sprinkle, or mix it a bit with the juice beforehand.
3. Then decorate this layer with peaches, which you will have to slice beforehand (unless of course you like big pieces of peach). After than a nice (thick) layer of cream!
4. Keep repeating these steps (forget step 1) until you’re out of ingredients or your tray is full. You can decorate the top with some leftover peaches.

Photobucket
A picture for the inside, its messy but just to give you an indication!

If you have anything else left, just eat it. Slice yourself a nice piece of cake, dump cream and peaches over it -loads of cream and loads of peach, less cake- and eat it all while you put your Peach Trifle in the fridge to wait till your guests come along, or its dinnertime. As you can see, I completely just imagined this recipe together. The cake I used, was from a trifle my mom made, but she used strawberries. Now you can use any fruit, and canned peaches are a lot nicer and cheaper than strawberries. Also, she used a dessert wine and I don’t like alcohol. I saw the juice left in the can of peaches, and decided on using that the moment I was making it. The cream came from a Tiramisu recipe I’ve been making for Christmas every year, but this year my sister she had a new recipe she wanted to try. She made the Tiramisu and failed – that’s what you get for not letting me do my favourite Christmas dessert recipe. So if you want a sincere truly and only Trifle recipe, you’re in the wrong place. This recipes just looks like a Trifle, but what looks like a Trifle must obviously be a Trifle. Who cares about the name anyway?
Somehow I have this feeling of a deja-vu.
Anyway, for the rest of the Christmas dinner, I managed to get some pictures after we already ate half of it. I was more into the eating that taking pictures, but just to give you an idea!
The Christmas dinner started off with my moms Union Soup specialty –no one can make it better!- or Mushroom Soup, both of which I forgot to take pictures.
Next was the main course in which we just dump all the food on the table and you can pick what you like! A few things we had: starting off with mushroom gravy. I probably ate more mushrooms than gravy, but can’t have a good dinner without gravy.

Photobucket

Next are mushrooms filled with pesto and covered in cheese. I think I remember the pesto tasted a bit cheap, these weren’t bad at all. Does anyone feel a mushroom overload?

Photobucket

This one shows, which you cant really see, something that translates to belgian endive or chicory wrapped in ham and covered in cheese sauce. This is delicious actually, especially my sister loves it. Preferably with small chicories or belgian endives, because they DO taste a bit bitter.

Photobucket

Here we have haricots verts (thin green beans) wrapped in bacon! It’s bacon, it’s beans, I have nothing more to say!

Photobucket

Then last, and actually least for a change, were some simple potatoe swirls. I’ve hereby missed the cranberry sauce, which I should post later and will! And I’ve missed my sisters, although a bit runny, Tiramisu dessert! She ruined the recipe, but she kept the taste she did! Before that though, a picture of crackers you can really easily make with puff pastry and some seeds or cheese and go really well with the soup, or just as something to munch on in between the courses.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

One more Christmas Special to go! Up to my High Tea Party!

No comments:

Post a Comment