Friday, October 29, 2010

Chocolate, caramel coffe cupcakes with toffee topping

A whole mouth full, all in one. They’re PERFECT! You know when you bake something, and when you taste it you can barely believe you made it yourself that’s how nice it tastes? Making the cupcakes from this recipe was one of those times. Wauw, I must’ve gotten really lucky!

Photobucket

So basically, I felt like baking, especially using a new silicone cupcakemold my mom bought for me. It’s one day to halloween so the autumn-feeling fits. I regret not being able to make much for halloween or doing anything at all for it. But when you have no one to celebrate it with it gets kind of boring quite fast. I can’t exactly remember where I got the idea but I wanted to make coffee cupcakes or pudding or make carrotcake. Somehow it fitted the autumn perhaps? Just like the pumpkinbread or cake I still want to make! Anyway, it ended up with chocolate as well. The coffee I used had a caramel taste, so I got that was well. Then I tried making a toffee topping, and hell, you got yourself a damned long title. So let’s get to the recipe!

Photobucket

Ingredients:
225 gram selfraising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cocao
225 gram (unsalted) butter
225 grams brown castersugar
4 eggs
3 spoons instant coffee (or two 1-cup packages)


1. Start off with preparing our instant coffee. Dumb two packages, or 3 spoons, in a cup and add about 2-3 spoons of boiling water and stir it a little. Leave it to cool a bit.
2. Weigh the dry ingredients: the flour, baking powder and cocao and sift them into a bowl.
3. In a seperate, larger bowl mix the butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the caster sugar then mix again until the sugar is nicely mixed in.
4. In ANOTHER small bowl, break the four eggs and beat them slightly. Add these eggs to the butter in about 4 additions and mix everything until it is nicely mixed in.
5. Now add the dry ingredients in several additions and mix well between each addition.
6. Preheat the oven at this point to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Don’t forget to use cupcakecups or butter and/or line a tin and fill the tin for about 3/4. Leave it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes and your cupcakes should be perfect!

I noticed this recipe takes a lot of bowls and a lot of mixing. I just realised all recipes are like that. A complete disaster for my kitchen and very environmental unfriendly that is!
Pretty standard recipe don’t you think? I imagine if you don’t like any kind of coffee you can replace the last bit with instant chocolate milk or just milk or instant ice tea or instant banana smoothie. Then again, the last two sound kind of odd, but chocolate and banana is not a wrong combination either.
And now for the toffee topping which I used on 6 cupakes!

Photobucket

Ingredients:
15 toffee/fudge candies
1/4 cup of milk


1. Just add this together in a pan and doubleboil it. It might take a pretty long while before it is melted though!
Do make sure you have a nice kind of toffee candy for this, because what I made just tasted plain chemical. The fact that my sister still really liked it just means she has no taste. Update: appearantly I was the only one that thought it tasted chemical. Maybe there's something wrong with my taste? -the world ends here-
I hope you’ve enjoyed!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment