Friday, December 21, 2012

5-minute brownie in a mug!

This is the best recipe I can give you for a Christmas dessert in a pinch. It’s an absolutely amazing brownie in a mug and it really takes no more than 5-10 minutes. Serve slightly warm with whipped cream and sauce and you’ll be sure to make everyone ‘wow’ at your creation and no one will ever know how easy it was. Unless you do tell them you made it in 5 minutes and I bet they’ll still be just as amazed.


The first time I made this my sister stared at me while I poured all the ingredients directly in a large mug. She insisted I lost my sanity. And to be very fair I felt a bit silly as well. Somehow the idea of making a cake in less than three minutes in a microwave just made no sense. After mixing the ingredients, I popped the mug into the microwave and stared at it. I wasn’t too surprised when it started rising, I did after all put self-rising flour into it, but it did rise very high. I also wasn’t too surprised nothing exploded, but I did stop the microwave several times to check. I even wasn’t all that amazed when I took the mug out and the brownie turned out to be a shiny exploded chocolate mess. But I was totally surprised when I took a bite and it had the taste and even consistency of real brownies! It was amazing how it turned out that sweet in such short time!

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons self-rising flour
4 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons milk
2-3 tablespoons sunflower oil
3 tablespoons Nutella
Whipped cream
Caramel or chocolate sauce

1. Put all ingredients in a bowl, or directly into a mug, and mix it with a fork until there are no lumps left.
2. Pour it into 2-3 mugs. The mugs in the pictures were filled for about three-quarters. If you don’t want the brownie to poor over the mug, you’ll need to fill it no more than halfway.
3. Stick the mugs into the microwave and microwave on the highest setting for about 2-3 minutes. You might need a bit longer or shorter depending on the wattage of your microwave.
4. Top the brownie-in-a-mug with whipped cream and caramel or chocolate sauce and enjoy!

You might want to leave it for a few minutes, just so the brownie is cool enough to eat. This way your whipped cream won’t immediately melt as well. Also, I personally totally love the way the chocolate drips from the sides, but if you'd like your brownie to look a bit cleaner fill the cup for no more than halfway! For Christmas I’ll be serving this in tiny cappuccino cups with a little ball of ice cream to the side. I can’t wait for the Christmas dinners! There’s so much food I get to try and show off. 


Of course, now I know how to make these brownies-in-a-mug, I’ll have to start experimenting. I already thought of adding chocolate chips or fudge bits. The very thought of it makes me drool! I also have to start making a white chocolate version. Or how about a gingerbread-version? Do you think I can substitute the Nutella with jam? Since the recipe is so easy I’ll be sure to get down to it soon. I also won’t have to worry about wasting a lot of ingredients!
Thank you for reading again and please leave comments if you're equally amazed, you experimented with this as well or just random! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment